Marriage License

**NEW** Effective July 23, 2017 the marriage fee increased to $68.00 per Substitute House Bill 1594.

Are you getting married? Congratulations! The marriage license process has four steps. Remember! Washington State has a 
mandatory 3-day waiting period and cannot be waived.

*Note:  The license is valid for 60 days from the issuance of the license. 
Apply for
license on...
First day you
can marry is:


*The 3 day waiting period does not begin until you have appeared in the office and purchased the license.
hands making heart

1. Fill out the application.

The application must be completed on a computer, using this online application. When you're done filling out the application, click the "Apply" button. If you don't have a computer, you can use one of the computers in our office.

Please note all marriage applications are public record (RCW 26.04.170) and may be published in the local newspaper.

2. Submit the application and $68 fee.

The easiest way to complete the process is for the couple to come to our office together. Bring photo ID (both people must be 18) and the $68 fee.

You'll be given a Marriage License.

If you are unable to appear in person together, you can submit the application by mail.

*Note:  The license is valid for 60 days from the issuance of the license.

3. Get married.

Have your original marriage license signed by your witnesses and officiant.

If you are looking for someone to perform your ceremony, here are some ideas.

If you are an officiant and have questions, please view our marriage frequently asked questions.

4. Return the license and get certified copies.

After you are married, the signed original marriage license must be returned to us. It can be returned by mail or in person. You may then purchase certified copies for $3 each in person or by mail. You'll need certified copies to:
  • Change your name with Social Security.
  • Apply for military benefits.
  • Change your driver's license.
To order copies by mail please fill out this form and return it with the appropriate payment.

Find more information about marriage requirements in RCW 26.04.