Applying for Permits
The Development Center is Pierce County's centralized location to get information on and apply for Building Permits, Land Use Actions, Site Development Permits, Environmental Reviews, Sewer Utility Permits and Fire Prevention Permits.
Follow these steps to help ensure that your application process is successful.
Parcel Research Tools
- General information like zoning, address, jurisdictions, prior permits, Etc...
- Natural environment information like open space, shoreline and moratoriums.
- Possible site constraints such as: wetlands, hazard areas and flood zones
Ask Us Your Questions
- Online form to submit a question to the Development Center staff.
- Use our Live Chat service, use the button in the right-hand side of the screen.
- Call the Development Center at (253) 798-3739. Available between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM, excluding Holidays.
Visit The Development Center Lobby
- Located in the Pierce County Public Services Building at 2401 S 35th St, Tacoma WA, 98409
- Open between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM, Monday through Friday excluding Holidays.
Tacoma Pierce County Health Department Online Septic System As-Built Lookup
- You'll need this information if your parcel is serviced by a septic system.
PALS Forms, Handouts, Submittal Checklists
Construction permit fees which include fees for building, plumbing, mechanical, and similar construction related permits issued by the Building Official, Impact Fees, Traffic Impact Fees, and land use & planning related fees, which include fees for variances, use permits, subdivision, site development, and similar application types. The Fire Prevention Bureau has fees for permits and annual safety inspections.
In October 2010 the County Council passed legislation allowing deferral of some impact fees and sewer connection charges. Learn more on the deferral webpage.
PALS offers Customer Meetings designed your way. Our staff at the Development Center is extremely knowledgeable and stand ready to provide general information on a myriad of topics. But sometimes general information is not enough and our customers want more detail. Typically that issue arises for more site specific projects or during the initial layout and planning process.
Using the Customer Meeting Menu you can:
- Choose staff from different areas of expertise as you need, and
- Decide if you would like that staff person to make a site visit, or write you a letter.
Fees will only be charged for the services you request. The fewer services requested, the lower the cost and the quicker we can meet. If you request to meet with staff only we will work to schedule to meet within 5 working days of your request. The meeting fee will be credited toward your development application so long as you submit your permit application within 12 months of the meeting date.
- Our website allows you to start the application process online.
- PDF versions of your submittal materials is required.
- You will be contacted with instructions on completing the process within a couple of days.
Submit In Person at the Development Center
- Open between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday to Friday excluding Holidays.
- Located in the Pierce County Public Services Building (Annex)
- Appointments are required for commercial building permit applications, call (253) 798-7282 for more information or to schedule.
Tracking Your Application
Here are several ways you can track an application/permit.